Friday, November 19, 2010

A Little Glimps of Day Zero-My Stem Cell Transplant

Well I finally have a little energy this morning to fill you all in on the actual transplant.  Leading up to the actual transplant my wonderful nurse Diane gave me Benedryl and Zofran and lots of fluids via IV.  Apparently the preservative that the stem cells are in lets out a terrible smell that can actually make the patient pretty sick. So to try to prevent that she gave me all the good drugs.  Mike was here along with my mom and dad. We saw the cooler arrive at the nurses station.  The goods had arrived!

A member of the clergy came in and actually blessed my stem cells. It was a beautiful and emotional ceremony. My mom held my bag of stem cells with me as they were blessed.  To think of the long road it took to get to this point. The emotional distress, the days upon days of appointments and chemo and drugs.  The three long days collecting the stem cells.  And now here we were. Now I was ready to accept these stem cells and hope they restore all the damage the chemotherapy has caused to my bone marrow.  Once the blessing was done, the bag of stem cells was hooked up to my IV.  Right away we began to smell a very gross smell.  Kind of like a mixture of rotten eggs, and basil. Not very pleasant!  The nurse got me a mask to wear but the smell was so overwhelming, I actually began to taste it.  Immediately my body responded and the nurse was fetching for the bed pan.  I sat there getting sick over and over until nothing was left in me.  Kind of anti climatic after the beautiful ceremony we had just had moment before. 

After all that was over, my body begged to sleep.  Mike and my parents left and I slept the rest of the afternoon away.  The nurses kept giving me Zofran to try to ward off any nausea. But it keep creeping back.  Last night again I found myself getting sick over and over again.  It is a very lonely feeling getting so violently ill in a hospital without my husband there by my side.    I cleaned myself up and called Mike and cried.

I  cried myself to sleep. And stayed asleep until the 3AM Vital checks. Still feeling nauseous I slept until about 7 this morning.  I took a shower this morning and the little hair I have on my head is quickly disappearing and I have noticed there is no need to shave my legs (a little bonus I guess!)

I am looking forward to seeing Beth this morning and Mike.  Today is Day 1 of the rest of my life!!  I hope each day will get better and better and I will begin feeling stronger and stronger.  Thank you for all your love, support and prayers. Even in my darkest moments I truly believe I come out the other side to a more positive outlook because of all your love and support.


Me absolutely exhausted from all the Benedryl and Ativan
Mom and Dad here for the Big Moment!
All 5.75 Million Stemmies!!


During The Transplant!

2 comments:

  1. We are here for you Jean. I hope each day gets brighter for you. We love you. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanie ~ you are so amazing and strong!!! Hang in there, your doing it. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete