Monday, November 22, 2010

Day +4 Time Goes By.... So Slowly.....

Today marks day 7 of being in the hospital and more importantly Day +4 since my stem cell transplant.  Today I am definitely sleepy and my stomach is feeling pretty blah.  Apparently I haven't reached a neutronpenic state yet (zero white blood cells) but I am getting pretty low.  So as Mike blogged now more than ever I need to be careful of everything.  Kind of scary.  You spend your whole life building up an immune system and now it's to set to zero.  Before all this cancer business I was usually very healthy despite having 4 school aged children.  I hope to one day get that back.  But for now, I need to use all precautions.  Any little infection could set me back and keep me here so much longer than I want to be or even worse, well you know.  I don't even want to go there.  So I am trying not to be paranoid but it is challenging.  Talk about becoming a germa-phobe! 

As much as I am going stir crazy in this little fishbowl and I am missing all my freedoms and of course my 4 lovebugs, Mike and Flower, it is a little comforting knowing I am here.  My vitals are checked every couple hours and I have nurse just a call button away.  So right now the docs tell me my job is to report to them any changes I feel or notice.  I guess I don't have too many other distractions.  All I can say I am so grateful for technology.  It is so great getting all your messages and following your lives on Facebook.  Keep the updates coming.  You know, the joys of Thanksgiving, eating too much,  the family arguments.  I want to hear it all!  And who out there is going out for Black Friday?  Keep me amused! 

As far as me.  Not too much on my agenda.   It's looking like a good day to take a long nap.  Can you believe I am saying that?  Anyone who knows me knows how weird it sounds coming from me.  But I must say I am mastering the nap quite well.  Great way to pass the time. 

I heard from Mike it was a little chaotic morning at the Dreyer household.  The kids missed the bus for the first time, a bookcase came off the wall, and Emily almost went to school in just a shirt and tights! Small stuff right!   Mike is doing amazing and is probably really getting an insight into the fun but sometimes crazy life as a stay at home mom.  Of course he also is balancing work and having a sick wife in the hospital at the same time.  Nuts!  But he is holding it together.  Have I told you all how incredible he is?  I am truly blessed having him as my husband and this too shall pass.  At least he caught Emily going out the door before he got a call from the school to bring her in some pants!!

Hope you all are enjoying your day.  Time to order some broth for lunch!!

Jeanie
xo

5 comments:

  1. Sooooo glad you are feeling better!!! Sounds like great fun at the Dreyer household. Are your parents still in town?? I met them last week and they are soooo nice. I saw Mike today at CSDA as I was picking Kyle up (sick) and he looks no worse for the wear. Keep on resting up and before you kow it they will be bring that bike into your room for you to get your wheels moving again. Wishing you a fabulous day!! p.s. they say it will rain today but, it looks and feels more like snow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing...and yes, I am absolutely one of the crazy mothers who goes out on Black Friday...so I will definately have some crazy stories for you later that day. People do crazy things for their kids...as I'm sure you know.
    I am home today too, as JJ has strep throat and we will be home on the couch for the next two days napping as well. I am glad that you are continuing to do well and we send all of our love to you!!! Get some rest...and I will talk to you soon.

    Love
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean,

    Thinking of you and I am glad that you re resting because that is really the best thing that you can do. I am sure that we will have plenty of stories to tell you. We are snding our love to you as always. You are amazing. Love You.

    Aunt Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeanie,
    Just made a quick stop at your house. I'm sure you'll be happy to hear that even though you are in Boston sleeping 17 hours a day, and I am home doing very little, you still manage to have a cleaner house than me. Anyway, when you get better and start your career as a professional organizer and life coach (what you were born to do I think) count me in as your first customer. In the meantime, I'm going to do what I always used to do when I left your house - get a big, black garbage bag and start throwing things out!

    Rest well...
    Beth L.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jean! Your blogs are so heartfelt and genuine and I truly enjoy reading them. I hope you are feeling a little bit better each and every day. With such a supportive husband and beautiful kids, your emotional strength will help push you through those tough days. You are at one of the top hospitals in the country and I know you must have an amazing team of doctors and nurses. While you may be on a "broth diet" now, you will certainly earn a hearty Thanksgiving meal when you get home!! In the meantime, if the kids ever want to come over to our house for pizza/movie, so Mike can have a few hours to regroup, he can always reach us at chbert@charter.net or call Carl or myself. We would love to help out any way we can and Dante & Zoe would enjoy their company.

    All my best-Heather

    ReplyDelete