Sunday, November 21, 2010

Day 3 Sleep, Sleep and More Sleep

Well I  made it to day 3!!  The time seems to pass quicker when all you do is sleep.  It is amazing how much sleeping I have been doing.  I literally stay awake long enough to swallow pills or to get hooked up to IV and then off to dreamland I go.  Yesterday Mike surprised me with a visit with the kids.  It was so amazing to see them.  They all look like they grew. It was so great to give them all big hugs even if everyone was behind masks and gloves.  I just wish that I had more energy for their visit.  I was literally fighting to stay awake 10 minutes into their visit.  After we said our tearful goodbyes, Mike stayed in the room for a few minutes.  Am I glad he did.  While talking to him I began to notice my tongue swelling and I was talking like someone had grabbed hold of my tongue.  Pretty freaky!  I know Mike was scared but I actually started to laugh.  I sounded ridiculous.  The nurse quickly came in with Benedryl she pushed through my line.  And within a few minutes my tongue shrunk and I was talking normal.  They think it was an allergic reaction to one of the nausea meds they gave me.

Well that was enough excitement for one day.  The rest of the day I literally spent sleeping.  Every couple hours the nurses would check my vitals.  My blood pressure at one point was so low, the nurse had to take it 3 more times to be sure she read it right.  I also battled a killer headache that is probably due to the fact that I am dehydrated.  So I have been on a constant IV for the last 10 hours.  I will finally get unhooked at 8 this morning.

Well I am trying to prepare myself for my shower this morning.  As much as it feels amazing to get out of this bed and take a hot shower, every day I do, I leave the shower with less hair. It really is hard to see the towel full of little pieces of hair.  I have a tiny mirror in my room and from the looks of it, I don't have much more hair on my head.

It is really surreal for me to think that I walked into this hospital almost a week ago on my own two feet and physically feeling great.  Today I barely have the energy to walk from my bed to my chair.  I know they need to knock you down before you get better, but I wonder how much more of this I need to bare.  Have I bottomed out yet, or is there still more to go?   When will I start to rebound?  And mentally how am I going to get through this?  This certainly will be my biggest mental challenge of my life.  I need to try to stay in the moment or else I think I will go crazy. 


Well that's all for now.  I hope you all enjoy your day. Get out and enjoy every moment and get some fresh air for me!

xo
Jeanie

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jean,

    Good Sunday morning to you! You know...they say you grow while sleeping, so all your newly cleaned stem-cells are growing like crazy!! I'm so sorry that you are feeling so sluggish and nauseous. I hope today brings you some relief. I'm so happy that the kids were able to come visit you yesterday. What a treat for you and them! Keep up the good work, we're all rooting for you to get healthier and stronger every day.
    Love, Judy

    ReplyDelete