Monday, November 8, 2010

Day 1 of Stem Cell Collection...Done!


Day 1 of stem collection has been completed.  Yup 10 hours in a bed in one position and that is what we collected.  It is like liquid gold.  Tomorrow morning we will get the complete count of what was collected.  In order to have a Autologous Stem Cell Transplant it is required that you have at least 2 million stem cells collected.  Our goal is to collect enough for at least 2 transplants.  So we are keeping our fingers crossed.  I received another dose of the Neupogen Shots tonight so hopefully overnight tonight I will be popping out lots of stemmies.


The whole process was pretty non-eventful.  Other than the fact that I had to lay down in one position for the whole day and keep my arms straight and not moving (difficult for me), it really wasn't that big of a deal.  I did have occasional numbness in my hands and feet do to the fact that my blood was depleting calcium from me during the collection.  So the nurse just kept increasing my calcium.   I cannot believe how exhausted I am from doing nothing all day.  I mean I know my body is going crazy producing all these stemmies, but really I am wiped!  Mike and I checked into a hotel close to the hospital.  We went out for dinner and I literally was falling asleep at the table.  Tomorrow is another full day.  We head out to the hospital at 6:45.  We are hoping to hear good results from today's collection.

Well good night everyone.  I am going to get some much needed sleep.

Love -

Jeanie



1 comment: