Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Day +6 Zapped of all Energy!

Well I've made it to day +6!  Hard to believe it has been 6 days since my life saving stem cell transplant.  I have confirmation from my labs that my white blood count is bottoming out. Even without the lab reports I could tell you that.  My energy level is also close to zero.  Never have I have experienced such a level of complete exhaustion.  I did manage to drag myself out of bed, take a shower and go for a little walk.  But I think that will be the extent of my exercise today.  Other than exhaustion, my stomach issues seem to have resolved for the time being.

Last night while Mike was here the nurse brought us discharge information.  Although that is still quite a while away, it was great to even hear the word discharge.  It sounds like things will be pretty strict for me for about 3 months after I get home.  I should avoid public places, so I guess I wont be going to any movie theaters or shopping malls.  I can \have visitors, but they will need to wear masks and gloves.  And my kids are unfortunately not going to be able to have friends over the house for a while.  I will also have to follow a pretty strict diet.  And the big thing......Flower can no longer sleep in the bed with us.  This will probably be the biggest obstacle yet.  Her usual spot is right in the middle of Mike and I stretched out.  Mike has a couple of weeks to break her of this. Poor thing.  She already is missing her mom and confused.  Sarah has excitedly offered to share her bed, so we'll see if Flower takes her up on it. 

Mike also brought me in two of my favorite things....chapstick and yogurt covered pretzels.  Oh it sure is the little things in life!!  I am a happy girl!!  And my lips sure need the moisturizing!  Once again when Mike left last night, I couldn't hold back the tears.  I miss him and the kids so much and dream of the day I can leave this place and be home.  Every time I tell myself to be strong and not cry when he leaves.  But I can't . I can only imagine how long and sad the ride home must be for him.  He is such a strong man but I know how incredibly difficult this for him. 

Well that is all that is going on here.  I hope you all are having fun preparing for your wonderful Thanksgiving Feasts and family!  Let's all count our blessings this Thanksgiving! 

Love to you all-
Jeanie

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jeanie,

    The benefit of being at the bottom is you have no where to go but up! And your body KNOWS what it was like to feel good and be in shape - it will get back there soon enough. You just keep resting and getting whatever nutrition you can muster, and the rest of us will continue to send good thoughts and prayers your way, and for your medical team as well.

    Happy Thanksgiving,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeanie, I Know this is the toughest time right now but I know that you will soon be home with your fmily. Mike is a strong wonderful husband and father. We are grateful this year for so many things but especially for the stem cells that will soon give you the new life that you so deserve. We love you and will be thinking and prayering for you. God Bless you Jean. Love Aunt Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanie, so good to hear that everything is going along so "swimmingly", get it, swimmingly in your fish bowl? :-) You will soon be discharged there is no bones about it! Hope you can find sometime tomorrow to reflect on how special and wonderful this years Thanksgiving will be to you and your family. Wishing you the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jean,

    Hang in there! You'll be going home before you know it.

    I'm off to the Turkey trot (in Newburyport) in the morning. It runs through the woods in town, just like our training loops in high school xc. Next year?

    Your strength is truly an inspiration. Rest up and feel better!

    Love,

    Ben

    ReplyDelete