Monday, November 8, 2010

Let the Collection Begin!

More from Mike:


Good news..the numbers look good and the collection has begun.  Based on the information provided it looks like it will take 2 days to collect the needed stem cells to reach the magic number of 10 million stem cells for the autologous transplant next week.  The "Super-Duper-Stem-Cell-Collection-Thing-A-Majig" was fired up by our nurse Marty ( shortly after she presented me with the history of the Cobe Spectra Auto PBSC aphersis machine after she heard my not so technical reference to the machine in my earlier post ).  It looks like stem cells will be collected for the next 6 hours and then we will have to return tomorrow to collect the balance.

And now for the photos as promised:


And for those wondering how Jean will keep her arms still for the next 6 hours:

2 comments:

  1. Good luck Jeanie - and Mike, you are an engineer, so we do expect more technical explainations from you. Glad it is only one-arm apheresis - you have a free hand to itch with. Stay warm, hope you don't get too tingly. I've done one both one arm and two arm apheresis, but never for more than 2.5 hours at a time. I'm sure it's going to be a long day for you but hopefully it will be over before you know it. We're thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Jeanie GO!!!! Truly an amazing force the two of you sitting there chatting about "talking with her hands". I wish you well today and tomorrow. I'm still sitting her with my box of kleenx after viewing the Buzz Night video :-)

    ReplyDelete