Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Day 1-4:00 AM and Wide Awake

It is 4AM and I'm wide awake so I thought I would fill you all in on what has happened since arrival yesterday afternoon.  First off let me tell you about my "beautiful suite".  Apparently it is one of 3 suites on the floor because I have my own private shower.  My room is at the most a 10x8 space.  But I do have a window.  Granted, the view is more hospital rooms. But I  have a window nonetheless.  A glass sliding door separates me from the nurses station.  So I do feel like I am in a giant bubble or aquarium.  But I have a privacy curtain I can close with a remote from my bed.  Pretty cool, huh?  I know you are all envious!

I don't think I got more than 2 hours sleep tonight.  It seemed like every hour either a nurse or doctor was in to poke me.  At around 12 I was informed that my labs showed that I had a low potassium level, so they hooked me up to an IV and I have been given 4 bags of potassium.  But now instead of an IV in my arm I have my Hickman Line.  So the IV is attached to a line on my chest. On a positive note I can use my hands and move my arms!

Yesterday was a long day.  We checked in at around 1:00 PM.  After doing some necessary paperwork such as a Health Proxy (which I don't plan on needing) I went in for some lab work.  I found out my WBC went up to 220,000!  Pretty cool considering  it was 55,000 last Wednesday.  After that it was down to the Cardio Unit to get my line put in.  The doctors gave me a wonderful cocktail and I slept through the procedure.  When I woke up I had IV tubes coming out of my chest.  Pretty wild.  It was a little painful during the night but that seems to be getting better. 

My nurse Robyn is great.  She only has one other patient here so she gives me a lot of attention.  We were just chatting about running and the fact that I signed up to do a Sprint Triathlon in May.  I think I might of convinced her to do as well!  All the fun begins today.  I will be learning all about oral health care and living in a sterile environment.  Gloves and masks will be mandatory when entering my room.  I will be receiving anti-nausea meds at around 11 and then I will be receiving my first dose of Melphalan (big time chemo) at around 12. From what I hear this is very pretty powerful stuff with some not so pleasant side effects.

 Well it's time to get poked again.   Oh I wish I could have a nice Pumpkin Spice Latte right now!  I wonder what's on the hospital menu for breakfast? 

Wish me luck for today.  I'll let you know how it goes!

Love,
Jeanie

6 comments:

  1. Stay strong Jeannie!! You can do this yucky chemo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, thinking about you and sending you strong positive vibes!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck to you today girl! Stay strong, you will tackle today as you have done all the others!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jean, I know that you will stay strong because you an amazing woman who can beat this. We will all celebrate with you when you beat this. Sending you positive energy & love. Aunt Sue XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you. You CAN beat this thing into the ground! When all else fails, start pretending you are swimming and make fish faces to passers-by! That should give you a good chuckle. Hugs! Love, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stay strong, Jeanie! You can fight this and you have such a positive energy and love going for you. Hope you get some more sleep tonight :)
    Hugs and love, Kim
    aka Lelakes :O)

    ReplyDelete