Thursday, November 25, 2010

Day +7- Happy Thanksgiving


Family Photo Thanksgiving 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!  This photo was taken last year the day after Thanksgiving.  It was a beautiful balmy November day.  We took our annual road trip to Sterling, MA to pick  our Christmas Tree and chop it down.  It is a nice family tradition that we have been doing for the last 12 years.   Our children look forward to it every year.    My brother Rob joined us,    After a beautiful hike into the Christmas Tree Farm we found the perfect tree.  After Mike chopped it down and tied it to the roof of the car it was time to stop at our favorite little lunch place  on a big farm in Sterling.  After a great lunch, we took Flower out of the car and we let the kids and Flower run around in the beautiful Autumn sun.  Rob took this beautiful photo which was later used as our photo on our Christmas Card.  It was a beautiful and fun day!
Our Family Photo at Our Buzz Party Night


What a difference a year makes  There will be no Thanksgiving dinner with the family for me.  There will be no chopping down the Christmas Tree for me.  Instead I am lying in a hospital bed in my tiny fishbowl of a room, with a Hickman Line attached to my chest, a bald head,,16 pounds lighter,with an incurable cancer diagnosis.  How did all this happen?  Who would have ever known how much could change in one year?  Would I have appreciated that last Thanksgiving that much more had I known what the future held?  What would I have done differently?  I don't even know where to begin. 

It is hard to believe that it has been over  6 months since my Multiple Myeloma diagnosis.   It is so remarkably true, one phone call changes your life forever.  I will never forget that dreaded phone call and the fear I felt on that day.  How could life be perfectly fine one day, and the next come crumbling down?  I was 39 years old in the best shape of my life looking forward to the lazy hot summer days with the kids at the beach and lake, ready to take on another triathlon, and then I get the call that I have Multiple Myeloma, an incurable cancer. 

As I sit here in my hospital bed with an IV attached to my Hickman line in my chest and a hat on my bald head I am pouring with emotions on this Thanksgiving Day. Anyone who knows me knows how much I love the holidays.  I  love to host Thanksgiving at my house with all the traditional fixings from dinner to pies.  I also love love going out the next day and chopping down our Christmas Tree and then bringing it home.  The Christmas music stays on for the next month and I love to transform  my house to a Christmas Wonderland.  This is my absolute favorite time of year!  I love making crafts with the kids, filling out the Christmas Cards, baking almost everyday during the season and just being with the kids everyday as their anticipation rises as we get closer to the big day. 

But this year I find myself in a hospital bed recovering from a stem cell transplant. My energy level is low as my white blood count has not yet begun to increase.  I find myself sleeping most of the day away.  I am still attached to this IV as my blood pressure is scary low.  Being very susceptible to any germs right now, my visitors lately have been very few.  So it is very lonely in here and I have lots of time to think and reflect.  Yesterday I found myself very sad.  Sad that this has all happened.  Sad that I am going to miss out on a wonderful day with my family.  Sad that our lives have been forever changed since that phone call in June.

It has been a tough 6 months emotionally for me and my family and friends.  Physically the chemotherapy and drug regimen has taken a significant toll on my body.  Lately I feel like the chemo has literally sucked the life out of me.  Just walking up and down the hallway or to the bathroom exhausts me. 

At the same time I also feel a tremendous amount of peace.  I am so blessed to be in one of the finest Hospitals in the world under the care of the best doctors who intimately know my type of cancer.  The nurses have been so supportive to me in so many ways.  I am blessed to have been healthy enough to go through the actual transplant. So far my body is responding very well and here I am at day +7 with no major complications.  Hopefully this procedure will add years to my life and keep my cancer quiet for a little while. 

I also feel incredibly blessed and thankful for my loving and supportive family and friends.  I am overwhelmed by the out pour of love and support my family has received.  I can not imaging going through this journey without all of you.  I have developed some incredible new friendships with amazing people in our small town of Brookline.  I have been so touched by your love, generosity and support. Barbara and Ed words cannot express how grateful Mike and I are for you.  You took our children and cared for them and loved them as if they were your own.  You truly are special people and we are so grateful to have you in our life.  To my friends I have had for years,  Our bond is so strong and unbreakable.  You have been there for me and my family every step of the way.  You have helped me in so many countless ways to stay positive and strong. You were there for me on my darkest days, during my chemo days, the day I shaved my head.   You have showed me what true loving friendship is all about.  There is nothing I wouldn't do for all of you.  I love you with all my heart and soul.

My family has been amazing.  My parents were with us on the day we received that dreaded call. I know how difficult that was for your to hear that your baby has cancer.  Yet you stay so strong for my children.  I will never forget that. You have dropped everything and have stayed at our home helping out in every way to look after my children and love them and try to keep some sense of normalcy for them  I love you so much!   My mother-in-law Trish came with Mike and I to the doctors to receive the dreaded news.  Thank you so much for your love and support especially on that difficult day and for all the days you have spent with us at doctors visits,  You always have such a calming reassuring presence and you have helped me so much.  My sister and brother  and sister and brother-in-laws you have all been so incredibly supportive.  Karen your beautiful messages that you write me everyday inspire me to be stronger.  I love you all so much and I am truly blessed to have you all in my life.  To my extended family my aunts and uncles and cousins your love, support, phone calls, messages mean so much to me. I love you all so much and I am so fortunate to have you in my life.

This Thanksgiving I am truly thankful for all the blessings in my life.  I am amazed at how much I have learned and experienced in the last year.  Family, friends, wonderful neighbors that is the true meaning of Thanksgiving.  You have blessed my life in so many beautiful ways.  I wish you all a wonderful Thanksgiving full of beautiful memories!

Love
Jeanie
xo

5 comments:

  1. Dearest Jean,

    I am overcome with so many emotions as I real your latest blog. I have such a pit in my stomach and wish that I could take this all away for you. I am so sorry that you have to spend your Thanksgiving this year in a hospital bed instead of with your loving, beautiful family. All I know is that if anyone on this earth can overcome this with such strength, courage, grace and beauty, I know you can and will. Sleep now and rest your mind, body and soul so on that glorious day when you are reunited with your amazing family, this will be your Thanksgiving Day!! I love you!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean, We are all overwhelmed with emotion right now. We all wish that we could take this away from you so that you would not have to go through it. I know that your strength and courage will when this battle. We are thankful for having you in our love lives. You will be with us today in spirit. We are sending our love & prayers to you today and everyday. Love Aunt Sue XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank YOU. I am grateful to have gotten to know the Dreyer Family over the past few months - the positive energy and love that flows from you all is a model for all to follow and learn from. I can only imagine - and honestly can't pretend to understand - how challenging it is to be separated from family and traditions during the holiday season. Please continue to know that all of the support and caring you and your family have received during these times is because you and your family are such quality, loving people.

    Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jean,
    I too am very thankful on this day. I am thankful you are doing so well. You are doing such a great job and you will host many more Thanksgivings!! I can totally relate to the life changing moment of being diagnosed with mm. I have to say even though it sucks, it has also brought me many gifts. The biggest is to live with an open heart and love while I can. You, my friend, seem to be doing that already!!! Although I will be with family and friends today, you will be on my mind and in my heart. You will be back in business for Xmas I am sure. Be well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jean,
    As I read your blog, I am so filled with emotions. I feel so sad that you are alone today and wish I could take away all of your lonliness. I know that when you finally get home, you can have your Thanksgiving with your family. Thanksgiving doesn't have to be on a Thursday in November. You can have it any day you want! Although these days seem dark, there are brighter ones ahead for you. Just think, you are on Day 7 after your transplant...in a few weeks time, you'll be home with Mike and the kids getting your house ready for Christmas. You are truly an inspiration to me and I am so fortunate to have you in my life. Rest up and keep your spirits high for tomorrow is a brand new day! Happy Thanksgiving!!
    Love, Judy

    ReplyDelete