Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Lucky Day +13!!!!!

Ok my lucky number is 13!!!  Today I am +13 days old since my Stem Cell Transplant and I heard the news I have been waiting for.....I hit my numbers!!!  Wahoo!!  I feel like jumping up and down on my bed in my fishbowl.  I am close to getting outta here!!!  So,  ready  for a little medical lesson.  The key number we have been waiting for is called my Absolute Neutrophil Count.  Neutrophils are the key components in the system of defense against infection.  It is calculated by multiplying the WBC times the % of neutrophils in the differential WBC.  Ok who really needs to know all this???  I just wanted to sound smart for a minute.   What really matters is this Absolute Neutrophil Count needs to be at least 500 for at least 2 days and I am at 716!!!!!!!  Yipya!!!!!  I cannot tell you how incredibly happy I am. 

Dr. Mushi my Oncologist at Dana Farber just came in to congratulate me and I completely broke down in tears.  I am so incredibly thankful and feel so blessed.  This was the longest 17 days of my life.  And I made it through without any major complications!!!!  I cannot thank all of you enough for all your continued love, support and prayers.  Although I have a long road ahead of me and I will have to live a pretty isolated and strict life for a few months, I will be home with my family and hopefully close to cancer free!! 

I will keep you posted but hopefully tomorrow I will be getting my Hickman Line out and packing up the fishbowl!!!  Get ready Sawtelle Rd.  I'm coming home!

Love,
Jeanie

4 comments:

  1. Jean,

    I'm so happy to hear the great news! Yayyyy for you!! Your reunion with your family will be well worth the wait! Here's to hoping that those Neutrophil numbers continue to soar...for now, rest up. Getting through the isolation at home will be "easy peasy lemon squeezy" compared to the isolation you've had in your fishbowl! Also, it is winter...so hibernating is a good thing:D
    Love,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jean,
    I know we've only met a few times, but I'm so happy to "hear" you sound so cheerful. Wonderful news!!! I hope the GD surroundings fill you up with good health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean,
    This is fantastic news...did you know that the number 13 is actually a lucky number in the Italian culture? I'm only married into the Italian culture, but that's only a formality.
    When we bought our house on Gilson Rd. and were told the house # would be 13, I knew it was lucky and had no problem putting our name on the mailbox. And I'm so happy that #13 is lucky for you. We'll miss you at the cookie swap, but I'll send some to school for you to enjoy when you get home. I'm making Russian Tea Cakes.

    ;-) Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jean - I met you and your kids at the beach this past summer, thank you for sharing your story with all of us. I admire your strength and love for your family. I am so happy that you are on the road to feeling better. Take care and enjoy Christmas with your family. I am looking forward to seeing you with Beth F. at Salisbury State Park next summer!
    Lisa t.

    ReplyDelete