Friday, September 16, 2011

Welcoming Change

I just got back from an incredible run this morning with Mike and Flower.  It was a crisp autumn morning only about 50 degrees and sunny and the leaves are beginning to change.  Just as the air is changing in New England, my life is welcoming some new exciting changes.  The kids are all back to school and the busy fall schedules of sports, homework and activities have begun.  My days have become very full with lots to focus on.  Tomorrow is the big MMRF Race for Research in Boston, MA.  Our team, Cancer Sucks But Jeanie You Rock has earned so far over $11,000.00!    I am so excited and overwhelmed by the support we have received.  We have over 59 participants running and walking with us on our team tomorrow.  I think back about our last year when we participated in this Race.  It was only a few months after I got diagnosed.  We were all so scared.  We had no idea really what we were up against with this disease.  But being a part of that day brought us so much hope.  We were so inspired by all the people that were there.  In fact , the walls in my house are full of beautiful photos that were taken last year at the MMRF Race for Research.  My mother-in-law Trish did a beautiful job capturing all the emotions of that day; fear, sadness, love, hope and excitement.

This year we are returning to Carson Beach in Boston with full enthusiasm.  Today I am healthy and strong.  Today I have no detection of Myeloma, M-Spike of Zero!  We will be having a big presence at the race.  We will have a tent.  Also the MMRF has selected me to receive the Spirit of Hope Award.  This award is given to individuals who show strength and inspiration.  I am honored to be the recipient and to be recognized by such an incredible organization.  It is because of efforts from the MMRF that I am healthy and alive today.  Velcade and Revlimid, 2 drugs that have been critical in my treatment, were funded by the MMRF.  I will be so proud to be standing on that stage along side with such dedicated people.

Also I received a message that my four children will stand on a platform and start the race.  No air horn needed with the four Dreyer children.  I am so excited for them.  Tomorrow will be a great day.  A day that we can all fully enjoy, look straight in the face at Cancer and tell it that it sucks and that it will not win.  We will DOMINATE it!  After the race we will party it up at My Aunt Sue's and Uncle John's!

Attached is a link to my MMRF Race for Research Fundraising Page.  If you would like to donate we would be ever so grateful!  You can feel great that 90% of your donation will go directly to research to prolong the life of a Multiple Myeloma patient.  In addition, these drugs are also being looked into treating 30 other cancers.

http://support.themmrf.org/site/TR/RaceforResearch/General?team_id=13580&pg=team&fr_id=1290

I hope you all enjoy this beautiful weekend.  I'll be sure to post some pictures of the big day next week!

Love,
Jeanie

No comments:

Post a Comment