Saturday, December 18, 2010

Day +30 Post Transplant- Loving Feeling "Normal"

Good morning everyone!  I cannot believe it has been so long since I've last written.  I guess like everyone, I am getting caught up with all the preparations for Christmas.  It feels so good to say that.  I would have never thought that I would have the energy to do all that I've been doing this last week.  I keep waiting to wake up from this fantastic dream.  I feel "normal'.  Actually better than normal, freaking fantastic!!!  My energy is where it was prior to the transplant.  Granted I am not doing any real heavy lifting or exercise for that matter, but I have the energy to be up all day and keep up with the kids, the cooking, the laundry and all the fun preparations for Christmas.  I still have restrictions on exposing myself to crowded places, so thankfully my mom is here and is doing all the grocery shopping and taking the kids to activities.  She has been such an incredible help!  I think she is in shock as well at how great I'm doing.  I know Mike is.  He had planned on not traveling until the first of the year, but he took a last minute important trip this week because of how well I'm doing.


As I told a friend this week, mentally I feel like I could run a 5K.  Although physically I'm sure it would be a bust.  It truly amazes me how a positive attitude along with surrounding yourself with positive energy can really help the healing process.  This past week I went in for blood tests at my local hospital.  I received such a warm welcome from all my incredible nurses and doctor.  My results were great!  My numbers keep improving!  This Thursday  I'll be going back to Dana Farber.  I am hoping to get the thumbs up to be with extended family this Christmas!


It has been great to take a break from any heavy meds.  I will soon have to start up again.  The ongoing treatment includes the drug Revlimid.  I have was on Revlimid over the summer and I responded very well to it.  In a recent trial know as CALGB, patients were given a high dose of melphalan followed by a stem cell transplant followed by Revlimid , or were given melphalan, a stem cell transplant and a placebo.  The results of the trial were as follows: the Revlimid group had a 60% reduction in the risk of their disease progressing after 4 years!  Incredible!  Mike and I are so encouraged by this report. However, about 15 patients in the Revlimid group developed a secondary cancer.   The secondary cancer is called Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML).   Although, it seems to me that an 8% risk in developing a treatable cancer is a small price to pay for controlling a terminal cancer and improving my quality of life,  it is still a little unsettling.  I know everything has risks.  I've seen some of the nasty side effects that high doses of chemo has my body.  And I am sure the more a person is on this "poison" the more damage it will do.  But what are my choices?  According to incredible experts at Dana Farber that I have entrusted with my life, this is my best path.


I would like to share with all of you a beautiful paper my son Mitchell (age 10) wrote in school.



                                    The Perfect Gift

         The perfect gift for me would be for my mom to not have cancer. I think this would be a perfect gift because since my mom has cancer she can’t have a lot of company. She also can’t go anywhere and I mean anywhere she can’t even go to our neighbor’s house. There are only two types of water she can have. For my mom not needing to go through this would be magnificent it would be by far the best gift ever. If she wasn’t sick she would be able to do so much activity with us that she can’t do right now. 

         The problem is that it can’t happen only if scientists find a cure for cancer. Every night I have gone to my bedroom window and I have prayed for this extremely special gift to come as soon as possible. Overall this gift would be extremely rare and special to my family. I really hope there is really magic in the world so this could happen one day.

           P.S I really hope this will happen on Christmas. 

How incredible is Mitch?  If only it was that easy to wish for a cure.  Hopefully his wish will come true.  For now, we will all be blessed knowing we are all together for this Christmas.  It will indeed be the most special one.  My kids keep asking me what I want.  And I tell them I have got my present early this year!  I have to still pinch myself everyday!  I am home and feeling great!

I hope you all are enjoying the last weekend before Christmas!  Let's all just wish for a little snow this week so we can have a white Christmas!

Love and Hugs,
Jeanie



2 comments:

  1. Jean,

    I just read your blog and I'm so thrilled that you are feeling so well! It looks like everyone's prayers and energy, along with your amazing positive attitude, are really working! You have received such a wonderful gift...a chance at a new life. I know you will have many ups and downs over the course of your treatment, but if you keep up that fighting spirit, you will conquer anything. The drugs sound so powerful, but promising. It's so great to hear the Doctors and Scientists are really making such strides in a cure for MM. BTW, the poem Mitch wrote is so beautiful. It looks like your positive attitude is really rubbing off on your kids (yay). Enjoy the final week before Christmas, I'll talk to you later. Love and prayers, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everytime I read your post, I cry. It gives me such hope. I go to my hospital in January. My hope will be for them to say I am ready for the Stem Cell as well. I did find out my chemo is working and they are very happy with the results. I can only say that I wish my energy level was higher. But when I read this post it gives me faith that I will be just like you very soon. Prayers continue to come your way. Thanks for being a inspiration to me and many others.

    Jill Ernst
    Indiana

    ReplyDelete